SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, November 29, 2018

In Synch Sink

I'm not a professional (by training), but I do love design.  My strategy for designing a bathroom starts with the sink!  Once you narrow down style and placement of the sink, I feel like the rest of the bathroom decisions start flowing.  The bathroom design should be in synch with the design of the sink.  Shall I keep up with the plumbing metaphors ;)?  This strategy assumes that you have also made a decision about the bathing space (whether and what kind of tub/shower the bathroom will feature).

I'm really excited about our 1st floor bathroom.  This bathroom will get a lot of milage from family use, as well as serve as our guest bath.  The 1st floor bathroom is the only bathroom off of the main floor of the house.  Overnight guests will also use this space.  We decided to leave the funky (let's say "original"...it sounds better) corner shower tub.  It would be a great spot to bathe a small dog or a child under 3.  The shower tub is cast iron and my builder says "they don't make them like that anymore".  Here's a picture before we started demolition.



Wow, that is some PINK tile.  The whole bathroom was pink, including the accents on the floor tile.  There was also a funky situation going on with a diagonal vanity and two tiny doors that opened awkwardly into the hallway.  We solved these dilemmas by getting rid of it all.  The new sink (first design decision) will be relocated to another wall and the weird double doors were replaced with a pocket door entry.  (SIDE NOTE: I am obsessed with pocket doors and my builder wants to choke me for putting them in the house every time I get a chance!)

Here is a shot of the bathroom before demolition.  We saved an original brass towel rod and the cool-for-its-time white sconce.  Maybe will use both later?


If you're still reading after all of the gag-worthy pink...let me get back to my excitement about this bathroom!  I have always loved skirted sinks (by this I mean actual fabric).  Here is my chance to incorporate one!  Below are some images that are inspiring this space.  (See my Pinterest page for sources at https://www.pinterest.com/julymarch/).  







For a brief update on construction, we are currently working on hardwood floors, trim, interior doors, the screened porch, and tile.  Whew!  Our builder gave me a "best-case-scenario" finish date of April 8, so I have a lot of design decisions still to go between now and then.  I'm assuming we will move in some time after the school year finishes in May.  

Post a Comment